Hey bookworms! It’s Wednesday and time for my first ‘Top 5 Wednesday’ post of 2019. Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads group that has a topic for each Wednesday of the month that bloggers, reviewers, BookTubers, etc., can discuss. This week’s topic is: Hyped 2019 Releases That I Don’t Care About.
First, let’s just get out of the way that even if I don’t necessarily care right now about a given book, doesn’t mean I won’t care about it in future. Also, if you really care about any of the books listed below, please don’t take offense. It’s not that I think they will be bad and it certainly is no shade on these authors, just for me, they aren’t something I will be picking up anytime soon.
With that lovely caveat out of the way, in no particular order, let’s get into my list:
- King of Scars (Nikolai Duology #1) by Leigh Bardugo – This is a BIG one. Probably one of the most hyped books of the year. Leigh Bardugo is an incredible writer and I’m sure this book is going to be sensational. Someday, I will read this, however, I have NEVER read a book set in the Grisha Verse (Bardugo’s fictional world). I need to read the Grisha Verse trilogy and the Six of Crows duology before I can even think about picking this one up. The good news is that I do own them both, so I am set up to someday be reading this book. It just may take a while, therefore I give zero F*s about it now.
- Enchantee by Gita Trelease – This book has been all over BookTube for a while, since the ARCs went out a month or so ago. This book is set in late 1700s Paris and involves magic and stuff. I don’t know. I guess it is kind of a magical alternative history sort of story. I have read the synopsis multiple times and get bored after the first few sentences so just feel like this book and I wouldn’t get along. Seriously, after reading the synopsis like 5 times, I still have no clue what this book is about. Therefore, don’t care. Maybe after more of my friends read it and get their reviews up I will be tempted to pick it up. Until then, meh.
- The Beautiful (The Beautiful #1) by Renee Ahdieh – I don’t know, vampires. I just don’t care about a vampire story right now. Unless it is Dracula or anything written by Stephen King (i.e. Salem’s Lot or Doctor Sleep), I’m pretty much over it. I guess once some of my book friends read it, if they love it, I could be convinced to check it out. Currently though, my feelings on this are pretty, meh. Also, I have never read anything by Ahdieh, so that probably influences a bit as well.
- Descendant of the Crane by Joan He – Again, as with Enchantee, the synopsis doesn’t even hold my attention, let alone reading a 400-page book about it. Something about a Princess who’s Father is killed and a soothsayer and some magic, I don’t know. The cover is GORGEOUS though so don’t be surprised if some day, regardless of my lack of interest now, this one ends up on my shelf.
- The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1) by Cassandra Clare – Okay, now this one, I can see as being the most controversial but, in my defense, I have only read one book that takes place in Shadowhunter World, so I would have a long way to go before I could ever pick this book up. Therefore, because of that, this one is barely a blip on my radar. I have read, Clockwork Angel, which I did love and I do plan to complete that triology and then move on to The Dark Artifices. I will probably never read The Mortal Instruments series though. I just feel like I am too old for it and Urban Fantasy isn’t really my thing unless it is set in Victorian London or somewhere atmospheric like that. So, Cassie Clare fans, don’t hate me, I do like her writing and definitely want to pick up more from her in future, I am just not completely invested in that world yet.
There you have it, nerds. The hyped books I currently couldn’t care less about releasing in 2019! What about you? Did any of yours make this list? Are you angry with my choices? I want to know! Leave a comment below or contact me through any of my social media links.
Cheers & Happy Reading~