I joined Goodreads in 2015. For those of you who do not know, Goodreads is a social cataloging website that allows users to search databases of books, reviews, interact with other readers, track your own reading progress and that of others…basically, it is the best website ever created. It’s free to join and fairly addictive. I am on GR multiple times a day and use it to track not only the books I am currently reading or have read but books I want to read.
Books I want to read. This is what brings us to the purpose of this post. So, as I mention above, I joined GR in 2015 (in October) and immediately started adding books to a ‘to be read’ list. At this point, May 2018, I currently have a total of 1,670 books on that list. SIXTEEN HUNDRED AND SEVENTY!!! ONE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED SEVENTY books. Ridiculous, I know, but so is life.
I have decided that a new challenge for myself is to look at books that I had added to my tbr list each month, beginning in October of 2015, and select one of those books to read for my current month tbr. My hope is that this will help to clear some old ones off the list. I know I am not doing a grand job of describing this, so I am just going to select my May 2018 ‘unreadshelf book’ now for an example. Below are a list of the books that I added in October of 2015:
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (YA Fantasy)
- The Professor & The Madman by Simon Winchester (Non-Fiction)
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner (YA Dystopian)
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Classic Literature)
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (Epic Fantasy/Classic)
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (Literary Fiction/World Literature)
- The Giver by Lois Lowry (Children’s Literature/Classic)
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (True Crime)
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Literary Fiction/Word Literature)
^^^I need to complete one of these book this month, May 2018. I am going to choose, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I am going to start reading it tonight and am looking forward to it as obviously I have been meaning to read it forever!
For June 2018’s tbr I will add one book that I shelved on GR in November 2015. Hopefully this makes some sort of sense. I am excited for this challenge and really looking forward to knocking some old books off my list. I plan to run this challenge for as long as I am interested in doing so. Obviously it is just for fun, nobody is holding my feet to the fire, but as a booknerd, reading challenges are something I live for!
Cheers to the weekend and happy reading worms!