July 1st!? What the? I cannot even believe we are finished with half of 2019!! I have completed 93-books so far this year so am confident that I can meet my ‘100-books’ reading goal.
For this month I have selected a brand new readathon to participate in. Medieval-A-Thon is a full month readathon created and hosted by Holly from Holly Hearts Books over on YouTube. If you are a big SFF reader, or even if you are just someone looking to get more into that genre, Holly is a great resource. She posts super funny and fun content and is legit a SFF Queen! The link to her Medieval-A-Thon announcement video is below:
Basically, the goal is to build your nobility ranking by reading a certain number of books and then there are extra prompts to build your medieval wardrobe and weapons cache. The highest ranking is King or Queen with 6 books. This is my goal but I am also hoping to complete all 10 prompts using 10 different books. The 10 prompts, and my tentative book choice, are as follows:
- For a ‘crown’ pick a book where the character fights for a throne: Roar by Cora Carmack
- For a ‘helmet’ pick a book with a dragon on the cover: Mistress of All Evil by Serena Valentino which is about my personal Queen, Maleficient.
- For a ‘breast plate’ read a shiny book: The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell. I am also hoping to participate with the Books with Friends discussion on this on July 27th as this is their group book for the month.
- For ‘upper leg armor’ read a thick paperback: Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas.
- For ‘boots’ read a book that has yellowed over time: reread of The Dark Half by Stephen King. I have not one yellowed copy but two of this in paperback.
- For a ‘cape’ read a book with red on the dust jacket: A Stranger on the Beach by Michelle Campbell has red font on the cover. I know this isn’t SFF but I have an ARC of it so I do need to read it this month!
- For a ‘sword’ a book with something pointy on the cover: Empire of Sand by Tasha Suri.
- For ‘fighting blades’ read a book with assassins: I am currently reading Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa and there are assassins who try to kill the protagonist and her traveling crew. Even though I technically started it in June, I am going to count it anyway because I will be completing it this month.
- For a ‘bow and arrow’ read a book with elves in it: The Wicked King by Holly Black. I wasn’t sure if this would count but I watched Holly’s TBR video and it is what she is reading for this prompt so, she’s the boss, it counts!
- For a ‘battle axe’ read a book with mercenaries in it: Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne #2) by Peter McLean.
As we are all aware, I am a hella mood reader, so there is a very strong chance that none of these books will actually get read. Either way, I am reading something and I am going to make every single book fit one of these prompts.
I think this readathon sounds so fun. I hope it is uber-successful so that Holly will host it again next year. If you are interested in learning more about any of the books I have on my tentative TBR, just click the cover photo above!
What about you? Are you participating in Medieval-A-Thon? If not, are you participating in any reading challenges in July? If so, what? I want to know. Leave me a comment below or contact me through any of my social media links.
Cheers & Happy Reading~